The training aimed at 1) giving participants the knowledge and skills to perform basic wetland design and critically assess existing wetlands or wetland proposals and 2) establishing a network of scientists and managers with interests in utilizing CWSs for wastewater management in the region.
The course objectives were to
- raise and enhance awareness on the status and impacts of marine pollution in the region;
- highlight various initiatives in combating marine pollution;
- strengthen the regional capacity in design, operation and management of CWS;
- raise and enhance awareness on need for urban planning, types of plans and their relevance to coastal cities and/or CWS; and
- highlight the urban and environmental planning requirements, practice, procedures and processes for Constructed Wetland Systems.